Wednesday, April 24, 2013

What Kids are Reading 2013 Annual Report - Can This be True?

 

I actually look forward to this annual report from Renaissance Place. We are an AR school and I frequently use this information in conversations with students, parents and teachers. I print each grade and get teachers a copy. I know each teacher drops what they are doing and spends their planning time poring over my favorite report.

After briefly looking at this year's info, I am concerned. Really concerned. I love Diary of a Wimpy Kid, but is that ALL kids are reading? According to this data, we are in real trouble as a nation of readers. Similarly, I love the Hunger Games trio but am saddened to see these titles take as much space on the 9-12 level. 
I believe this report is accurate but it does not coincide with what I see every day. The kids I know do read Jeff Kinney and Dave Pilkey and Suzanne Collins (a lot) but they also read JK Rowling, Sharon Creech, Tom Angleberger, Erin Hunt, Lemony Snicket, Roald Dahl, Beverly Cleary, Judy Blume, Lauren Tarsis, Michael Buckley, Neil Gaiman, Christpoher Paul Curtis and more. Much more. 
Does this point out "point hunting" in AR? I think we are all familiar with kids racing around the shelves to find a "3 point book" in order to reach their goal.

take a look at the annual report here:



No comments:

Post a Comment