Thursday, July 17, 2014

Real Gel Nails that didn't break the bank - PERFECT for my Librarian Friends

True confession time. I am from Texas and as stereotyped as it sounds, it's hair and nails, nails and hair. To this day the first thing I notice about a woman is her nails. Consequently, too much of my waking time is devoted to thinking about my own nails. This can be confirmed by visiting my Nails, Nails, Nails Board on Pinterest.



When I started working in the computer lab before the library, the nails went short after two days. In the Library, they have stayed short. I admire my friends who can keep a nice mid length nail but it is not happening for me (shelving books, keyboards - enough said).

About two years ago my husband bought a UV light for me to speed to process of weekly manicures. It was amazing! But my nails still chipped, no matter which process I used (and I feel I have tried them all).

And, cue Pinterest! I LOVE how Gel Nails look and I was totally sold on the claims of three week manicures. Too good to be true? The price was killing me. The LED lights I saw online ranged from 65.00 to over 150.00. The actual polish is not ultra expensive at about 12.49 a tube but when starting it is an investment.

Gel Nails can also seem tricky in the beginning, so I searched and searched  posts and tutorials. This, by far, was the most comprehensive blog I found on Gel Nail application.

http://www.luluandsweetpea.com/2013/01/diy-gel-nails-at-home.html


Sally Beauty Supply had the Gelish Mini LED Lamp on sale for 34.99 when I went by. (*note that the power cord was an extra 14.99 but which of us doesn't have a drawer full of extra cords?) MUCH BETTER than 65.00 plus! This is the mini and I cure four fingers at a time with the thumbs going last for the third round. At 45 seconds a piece I can handle that for sure. One feature I really like about this lamp is that it shuts off after 45 seconds. I don't have to even keep track of that!


When I was at Sally's Gel Paints were BOGO, another score!! I was able to get Gel Base, Gel Top Coat, and two colors for 24.50. I was thrilled walking out of Sally's having spent 60.00 for everything I needed to get started with my Gel Nails.

I could NOT BELIEVE how easy the application was and how AMAZING the results were. That gel is not going anywhere!  Like I read time and time again, I changed colors because of regrowth.

The downfall of Gel Nails is taking me some time to adjust to: when people say removing them is a pain, that is the UNDERSTATEMENT of the YEAR. This post is the method I am using right now, and know that it takes at least 25 minutes. My hope is I will get better at this and decrease that time.



No comments:

Post a Comment