Thursday, November 7, 2013

Veteran's Day for an Elementary Lens

In the Library, Veteran's Day  is similar to Civil Rights for me. Both subjects are enormously important and wide reaching, and both really stress me out. I want to make sure I give Veteran's Day enough weight that the kids understand how important it is. On the other hand, this can get out of hand quickly and students just don't grasp the enormity of a Veteran's sacrifice. These books gave way to some insightful conversations this week before Veteran's Day:


We also used BrainPop and viewed Armed Forces or Vietnam War for a solid front loader. My favorite video clip this week was this one where Maggie Gee briefly describes her time as a WASP and shows even more personal pictures than we see in Sky High.



No comments:

Post a Comment